Hello, viewers, I hope you liked my last post about breakfast recipe which is pancakes. Enough sweet for morning breakfast so let’s make our afternoon lunch a bit spicy. And my today’s recipe is about Karela biryani(bitter gourd biryani) yes you heard right bitter gourd, as it tastes representing its name bitter it also tastes full of flavor. so let’s start
- 1 cup – Long grain Basmati rice (aged)
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 0.75 cups
- Salt as required
- Oil – few drops
- Bitter gourd – 1 medium size
- Sour curd – half cup
- Cooking oil – 1.5 tablespoons
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Black stone flower – 1
- Onion – 1 big sliced
- Turmeric powder one-fourth teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Handful of mint and coriander leaves
- Ginger garlic pastes half teaspoon
- Ghee or clarified butter 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice 2 teaspoons
- Almonds paste 1 teaspoon
- Pistachios paste 1 teaspoon
- Rose water 2 teaspoon
- Wash and slice the bitter gourd into thin slices. Remove the seeds and if you want not to remove seeds, retain it.
- Take half cup of sour curd, add some salt, mix well and soak bitter gourd for 30 minutes it helps to remove bitterness from the bitter gourd.
- Similarly, wash the rice with water and soak it for minimum 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion, coriander, and mint leaves and keep it aside.
- After 30 minutes, squeeze the bitter gourd pieces very well from the curd mixture and take it on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, and add the Cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, black stone flower. Now add sliced onion saute for a minute and then add the ginger, garlic paste. Mix well for few seconds and then add almond paste and pistachio paste. Now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt mix it well. Add the squeezed bitter gourd and saute till it gets shrinks a bit. Add oil if needed otherwise, don’t add.
- Now add the soaked rice without water, add a half cup of milk, 0.75 cups of water.
- Add a half tablespoon of ghee or clarified butter, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons rose water.
- Put the vessel lid on it and let it cook for 10-15 minutes in a low flame.
- After 10-15 minutes check if rice is cooked or not if not keep it for few more minutes.
- Served it hot with any raita.
- Momordica charantia, known as bitter gourd is a tropical and sub tropical vine of the family Cucurbitaceae, widely grown in Asia, and the Caribbean for its edible fruit. It has been used as a folk remedy for a variety of ailments. The plant is used as a claimed treatment s for diabetes(particularly polypeptide- p, an insulin analogue), and as a stomachic, laxative, antibilious, emetic, anthelmintic agent, for the treatment of a cough, respiratory disease, skin disease, wounds, ulcer, gout, and rheumatism.
- Rice is a seed of the grass species Oryza Sativa. As a cereal, it is the most widely comsumed staple food. Enriched varieties provide B vitamins and iron. Gluten free and suitable for people with celiac disease. Easy to digest and useful in restoring bowel function after bout of diarrhea. Rarely, if ever causes food allergies.