Bread Upma is another recipe of upma but made with bread instead of semolina. hope you like this recipe as you did like my previous recipe Kaju Barfi.
- 3 cups chopped – bread cubes
- 2 tablespoon – oil
- 1 teaspoon – mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon – cumin seeds
- 1 medium – onion(finely chopped)
- 1 green chill
- 3/4to 1inch – ginger(finely chopped)
- 6-7 curry leaves(chopped)
- 2 medium – tomatoes(finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon – turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon – red chili powder
- 1 pinch – asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
- Chop the bread slices in cubes keep aside.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan. add 1 tsp mustard seeds and let them crackle and pop.
- Then add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. stir and saute till the cumin seeds also crackle and change their color.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped onion stir. on a low to medium flame, saute the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add 1green chill (finely chopped) 1tsp finely chopped ginger and 6 to 7curry leaves, chopped stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away about 10 to 12 seconds.
- Then add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
- Then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and pinch of asafoetida for a more spicy taste in bread upma you can increase the red chili powder to 1/2 tsp.
- Mix very well add salt.
- Stir and saute this onion tomato spices mixture till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides. the tomatoes have to be cooked well otherwise you feel rawness in them.
- There should also be no liquids or moisture in the mixture and it should be slightly dry. otherwise, the bread cubes become soggy.
- Add the bread cubes, mix the bread well with the rest of mixture.
- On a low to medium flame, saute the bread cubes for 4 to5 minutes till they become slightly crisp from the edges.
- This way there is some crispness in bread cubes on the edges, along with a soft texture in the center of the cubes.
- Then add 1tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Instead of adding coriander leaves at this step, you can also garnish with them, while serving the bread upma.
- Mix and serve bread upma hot as a breakfast or as a quick snack.
- If you like this recipe of bread upma do share with your family and friends on Facebook or Twitter as we are active there and also on other social media.
- Keep visiting our website for more such delicious recipes.